East Grand Rapids opens school doors for the start of the 175 school year

Since 1841, students have attended class in the East Grand Rapids Public School district, making this year its 175th anniversary. Throughout the years the students of EGR have established a storied legacy that includes numerous traditions and achievements. Initially discovered by the Reed family of New York in the 1930s, EGR has evolved into the tight-knit community we know today.

Students and staff are excited about being apart of such an impressive milestone.“I think we should be very proud,” English teacher Sara Edleman said. Over the years, the East Grand Rapids Public School district has gained a reputation as being one of the best school systems in the area, earning a U.S. News ranking of fifth best in the state of Michigan. Matt Henkey ‘18 also commented, “it’s great the East tradition has lasted this long and it will continue to last.”

The school system began with a log cabin built in 1841, twenty years before the start of the Civil War. Located close to the current Community Center, this structure operated until the 1891 when an additional schoolhouse was built for students grades one through eight. By 1917, a new brick schoolhouse was constructed for grades one through twelve, and stood as the only high school until 1928 when a new high school, currently Wealthy Elementary, was finally built. Breton Elementary would soon follow in 1930. The current high school and middle school, along with Lakeside Elementary, were all built in the 1950s and 1960s, forming the district of the present day.

At the moment, there are no scheduled events to celebrate the anniversary. Rather, the administration introduced it as a theme at a start-of-the-year staff meeting. According to Mrs. Fee, superintendent Sara Shubel and assistant superintendent Jeanne Glowicki revolved around the idea of celebrating our 175th year. While it is possible that an event could be planned at some point this year, Glowicki hopes that, for now, the community considers the 175th anniversary a theme for the 2016-17 school year.