Girls water polo makes a splash with strongest season in recent years

Ashley Ward, Staff Writer

This year, the EGRHS girls water polo team is off to a great start, exceeding their success from last year.

The Girls have a record of 10-2, having won more games already than they did last year during preseason and postseason.

“So far this season we’ve been really successful. Our team has really improved this year, and our drive to work together more as a team has increased a lot” Lainey Skaggs ‘18 said.

Postseason.

Last year, the team welcomed the new head coach, Kim Pare, to the team, who is helping lead the team to their success this year. Pare is a graduate of EGR herself, and has been a huge component to the team’s success.

Additionally, Skaggs considers their preseason training as a key factor to the team’s success.

“We started out preseason workout program in January. We did lifting, swim workouts and cardio workouts, all of which really prepared us for the season. We’ve continued weightlifting into the season, which has been helping us a lot as well” Skaggs said.

The team is looking ahead for the rest of the season, and are hoping to make it to the State Championship for the first time since 2013.

The team’s next game is April 20 against West Ottawa, and they are hoping to bring home another win for the Pioneers.