Maddie McCahill leads White Team to victory in Track team’s Hammer Games

Niki Ezeh, Staff Writer

Maddie McCahill ‘17 was stacked with events. From 1600s, to 800s, to 400s, she knew that she was gonna have a hard meet. Lap by lap, the adrenaline took away a little bit of the pain that comes with running these events.

Four teams of stacked with East talent stepped onto their home track on a Friday night with plans of doing one thing: competing. On April 21st, the East Grand Rapids Track and Field team hosted their 7th annual Hammer Games, an intersquad meet.

McCahill ‘17 was in the last event of the meet, the 4×400 meter relay, and she was the fourth leg. When McCahill got the baton, chills and nerves ran through her spine as she began on what we found out would be the event that won the entire meet for her team, Team White.

When all the groups met at the end of the meet anxiously waiting for the final results, Team White never expected that they would win.

“We didn’t really have any distance runners for girls and guys and we didn’t win any relays, but everyone put in a lot of effort to occupy places in the individual events, and it ended up working.” McCahill ‘17 said.

The white team were the well known underdogs. Not having what people considered as “lottery picks”, the white team surprised the Hammer Games with upsets.

“We all thought we got third place, so everyone was really excited that we won. It definitely is my favorite track memory so far.” McCahill ‘17 said.