Girl’s soccer play for autism awareness

Anna Dayton, Focus Editor

The Autism Support of Kent County is an organization that supports the universal awareness, support, and treatment for people suffering from autism. The East Grand Rapids Varsity soccer team has supported this foundation in the years past and is excited to continue to contribute to their past donations. This past Friday, Apr. 21, both the JV and Varsity girl’s soccer teams played against their rival, Catholic Central, while raising money for this organization.

Although the game ended in a tie 0-0, captain and senior, Jazzy Dianpour ‘17, is more proud of the work off the field they did to help such an amazing organization. With the t-shirt sales during lunch and donations, the team raised about $1100.

“We fought hard on the field because of the importance of the game, but I was really proud of all the work we did off the field. Our t-shirt sales raised most of our money, but we were able to go out and get donations, sell raffle tickets and pineapple pops to raise money as a team for a good cause,” Dianpour said.

As the game begun, the girls strapped their shin guards on with yellow, blue, red, and green tape to honor the cause. Freshman, Julia McSorley ‘20, played her heart out on the field, knowing it meant more than a win for the team. They were playing for something bigger.

“Before the game, coach Lisa told us what it meant to put 100 percent into this game. We weren’t playing for just a win. We were playing for those living with autism, which hits close to our school as we have a few individuals with autism,” McSorley said.

Each year, the team strives to raise more money in hopes to support more people and help build better awareness of autism. The team will participate in a walk, which they do to further support the Autism Support of Kent County. With this, they will build a stronger awareness and support this organization as they do each year.