Model UN team debuts first conference at East Grand Rapids High School

Caroline Pursley, Staff Writer

For the very first time, Model United Nations was held at our very own East Grand Rapids High School. On Sat. April 15, many new faces were seen at the conference as it was held to encourage people to come out and see what MUN is all about. The event went from 8:30 am. to 5:00 pm. and this conference was especially unique due to the fact that students were chairs of the conference.

Ben Oostendorp ‘17 was the head chair of this conference and had responsibilities that he had never had before. Oostendorp has been going to the MUN conferences since freshman year but this was the first time that he was in charge. “Being chair I had to facilitate the debate within the committee, without actually interfering with what delegates want to do,” Oostendorp said. “I just regulated the room, while making a fair environment where everyone learns and has an equal opportunity to carry out what we want to do.” The new position put Oostendorp in a new environment within the conference that he had never had before because East’s MUN students have previously only attended conferences at local high schools or colleges. “I really enjoyed being chair of the conference because of the different and neutral perspective you have on the committee,” Oostendorp said. “It’s interesting to guide what happens during the committee, rather than merely being a delegate within.”

New students had the opportunity to become more comfortable with the MUN schedules and parliamentary procedure. Due to students’ positive responses, like those of Oostendorp, EGRMUN will return next year.