Grace is trying: to clean her room more

Grace Ruppert, Focus Editor

I’m not a particularly messy person, but my mom might disagree. My room quickly becomes an abyss in just a week, so this month I tried cleaning my room. I wasn’t able to clean it everyday, but about every two days, my room was completely clean.

I’m not even the messiest person that I know, and my mom always made me clean my room at some point, but it was nice to have a clean room during the week. My clothes piled up on the floor or on my chair throughout the week. The mess was always a reminder of another thing that I had to do at some point. It was just one other thing that added to my stress.

I was surprised how relieving it was to have a clean room after school. Even going home, and cleaning my room for five minutes was relaxing. I liked being able to see my floors, use the table beside my bed, and not have a mountain of clothes on a chair that is supposed to be sat on, not a placeholder for the clothes I need to hang up.

A made bed kept me from taking a nap or wasting time away while in my bed. I sat down at a desk and was productive, actions that don’t usually happen if I end up in my bed after school. I am glad I started this habit; it will make the beginning of this second semester more productive and less stressful.

It was convenient to have a clean room. I found my clothes faster, didn’t lose my calculator under a sweatshirt, or trip over my stuff.

I felt more in control and relaxed in my room. My room became more of an oasis than a pigsty. It finally served its purpose, a place I can go to relax and take refuge.

I liked walking into my room, seeing things in its correct place and everything neat and orderly.

I would recommend cleaning your room as often as possible. It gives you a sense of control and peace.

This month of trying new things was successful. It was beneficial and rewarding. It was also an especially good lesson to realize for college. Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep this habit with the rest of senior year and the beginning of a stressful four years at college.

If you’re not convinced, just think how happy your parents will be if you have a clean room.