Tradition of Excellence turns 100

Maura Burns and Ashley Ward

2017 marks the 100th year of East Grand Rapids High School. In 1917, a small, brick schoolhouse was built on the grounds of the current Wealthy Elementary, housing grades 1-12. Over the past 100 years, the district has added 5 more school buildings, and district has been able to expand its education programs, resources to students, and the overall success of the district, making it a top-ranking district in the state.

“Even since my freshman year, I’ve definitely seen changes here” Margaret Sheridan ‘17 said. “The school has undergone a lot of renovations, which has made it a lot easier for students to study.”

EGR has gone through extensive renovations through the past 100 years, with the most recent renovation the learning commons and cafeteria to be able to accommodate all types of learning.

While reflecting upon the progress in the past 100 years, EGR is looking ahead to the future as well. The increasing technology in the classroom is one way EGR allowed for students to take hold of their learning in and out of the classroom.

“I think as technology evolves, and newer generations have exposure to technology, the way we teach, and the way students learn or what they are capable of doing in the classroom will definitely expand. East as a district is always looking to improve and do new and different things” Edison said. “As a district it will be really cool to see the changes in education and new technology, and how that integrates into the class.”

East Grand Rapid’s strong community has also helped it flourish. Not only do the students rally around important events, including Kabookie Week, but the community as well.

“It’s still fun to see some old traditions and some new traditions that have started as well. I think Kabookie week is one of the biggest changes in terms of student involvement.” Edison said. “We had Kabookie week with his name on the jerseys, but it’s been really cool to see that spirit continue.”

As East Grand Rapids High School celebrates it’s 100th year, they look forward to continuing their “Tradition of Excellence” over the next 100 years.