Humans of EGR

A glance inside the lives of rappers, musicians, teachers, and youngest siblings.

Will Marsh ‘19 comments on his alter-ego rapper, Skinny Boi Swamp.
Keaton Smith

“One day I had an epiphany, and I was like ‘I’m going to write a rap.’ Actually it started back in fourth grade, we had a free writing class and I wrote my Raining Tacos rap that I performed three consecutive years at Camp Henry. My role model is Straight Salt. I think it’s really fun figuring out how to mix beats and be a clever lyricist and ‘be a poet with the pencil’ as I address in my new song ‘The Return’. 

Lexi Willison '17 poses with her trusty baton that led the marching band through the football season this past fall.
Keaton Smith

Lexi Willison ‘16 discusses her position as drum major.

Its an audition process. There’s a panel of people, we answer their questions. Overall, I liked being in a position that would have an impact on the incoming freshman. When I was a freshman, our drum major really helped me come out of my shell. I liked being able to pay it forward. I went to a camp last summer that focuses on what it means to be a drum major and how to apply your leadership skills and you have to take each situation as it it, you can’t use the same techniques to problem solve for every situation. Learning to adapt is the biggest thing.

English teacher Jane Hazle reflects on the more challenging aspects of her career.
Keaton Smith

“One of the most challenging parts of my job is to make what we’re talking about seem relevant to the students–trying to bridge that connection between what we’re studying and the other things in your life and things that will come later in school. Thats hard sometimes because some of what we study isn’t necessarily all that interesting in face.”

Brennan Bevins ‘18 describes what it is like to grow up with 3 older siblings. “
Keaton Smith

Brennan Bevins ‘18 describes what it is like to grow up with 3 older siblings.

“Its really nice learning from them and getting their experiences from the high school. The teachers know them and they like them so it gives me an advantage. They’ve set a good standard. Anytime I get compared to them it’s usually a good thing. My brother plays similar sports to me so he’s pushed me in that area and he’s supported me. We get compared a lot and I used to not like it, but he’s a good guy so I like getting compared to him.”