Student Council plans an “Enchanted Forest” prom at the Downtown Market

Prom+tickets+will+be+sold+May+13+during+4th+and+5th+hour+lunch+for+%2420.+

Grace French

Prom tickets will be sold May 13 during 4th and 5th hour lunch for $20.

This year prom will be held from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Downtown Market in Grand Rapids. With a theme of enchanted forest, the student council has been working hard to make prom the best night it can be. Prom is different from Homecoming and Winter Whirl because only seniors and juniors attend. The seniors have high expectations for their last dance, because it is their one last hurrah of high school. “My expectations for prom this year is to have a good time with all my pals before we graduate,” Maire Schlick ‘16 said. 

Every year it is the junior class Student Council responsibility to raise funds for prom and plan the evening. This year the student council choose to host prom at the Downtown Market and have rented the entire top floor of the venue. Junior Class President Francesca Aquino ’17 have scheduled a DJ named “DJ Composition (who) will be playing for the entire two hours. He’s different because he plays the music videos on large projectors along with the music,” Aquino said. As students arrive at the market the jazz band is also scheduled to play for the first 30 minutes.  

Students attending prom will not have to pay for parking at the market. Tickets are being sold during fourth and fifth hour lunch on May 13 for $20 per person.

Besides a fun night out with friends, prom attendees, “can look forward to the beautiful decorations and venue. Also, there will be an ice cream bar and root beer kegs catered by the Downtown Market’s vendor Love’s Ice Cream. We also have a caricature artist and many photographers coming as well” Aquino said.