Community supports Arbor Circle at annual Hearts of Gold game

Anna Dayton, Staff Writer

The Bridge at Arbor Circle is an organization that supports the universal struggles of teenagers and young adults in West Michigan. East Grand Rapids is ready to support their cause. With more than 33 counseling, education and prevention programs, it can address anything from child or substance abuse, school readiness, and homelessness. Each year, the organization supports more than 13,000 children and families, providing them with the emotional, physical and mental stability needed to be resilient.

This year, the East Grand Rapids community is hoping to donate a year’s worth of support to teenagers in the organization. However, this requires more fundraising than most would assume. “It costs $50 to supply a youth client with the basic needs upon entering the homeless shelter,  $100 to feed a child at Arbor Circle for two weeks, and $250 to help a homeless youth client receive his/her GED,” said Hannah Stuursma ‘18. In order to reach their donation goal, t-shirts, popsockets, and jerseys will be sold to all students, staff and parents in the district. These sales constitute the majority of the donation, yet more money will be raised at the annual Hearts of Gold football game. During halftime, donation buckets will be passed around so the spectators can donate spare change to Arbor Circle.

In the past, the East Grand Rapids community has raised enough money to support many organizations like Arbor Circle around all of West Michigan. “Last year, we gave over $65,000 to Ele’s Place, an organization that provides services to families in a crisis,” said Stuursma ‘18. This year, the East Grand Rapids community plans to reach a higher goal and help more people. Not only will the stands be covered in gold at the football game Friday, but also the hearts of the spectators as they support the families involved with Arbor Circle.