Keeping up with Weigel

Emmeline Roney, Maddie VanGessel, Copy Editor, Staff Writer

The students of East Grand Rapids have welcomed the new principal, Craig Weigel, with open arms into the high school. Since the start of the 2017-2018 school year, Weigel has dedicated his time to connecting with the student body, highlighting the importance of positivity and self-expression.

“It is harder for me to make these connections because I don’t have those daily interactions with students like teachers do,” Weigel said. “That is part of the fun challenge for me; trying to make sure students feel connected to our school, that they feel safe, that they feel like they have a voice, and that they feel cared about. When my time here at East is done, I hope people can say that I contributed to that.”

With a successful end to the first quarter, Weigel’s seamless transition from elementary to high school education has become evident. Barring that many students now tower over him, Weigel has come to realize that age does not require a rewrite in administration.

“People in general all have the same basic needs. They need to know that they are valued, they want to know that they are respected, and they want to be heard.” Weigel said.

The reinstatement of positive relationships and ambitious attitudes has gone to create a positive atmosphere around the school. Every morning, Weigel stands at the entrance to the senior hallway greeting each student with a smile and a high-five, starting both his day and his students day off on the right foot.

“It’s simple,” Weigel said, “ But when the students reciprocate with a high five, it puts a smile on my face and reminds me of the work we’re doing here and what this is all about: serving our students”

The community, student body, and staff have all stood supportive of Weigel, eager to see what the rest of the school year has to bring

“It’s so fun, and it’s so fast. It’s just one of those high schools that you just pitch yourself in the morning, like, hey, I’m the principal of East Grand Rapids High School, and that’s a pretty cool thing.” Weigel said. “It’s cool because I get to work with awesome students, a great staff, and a super supportive community; I don’t take that lightly at all. Its an awesome job.”