IS Blog Post #4

Week Four

April 1, 2018

Sunday, April 1st

Happy Easter, East! Not only is it the first day of April, April Fool’s Day, and Easter, but it is also almost one year from today that I found out I got accepted into the Island School. My friends and I were all talking about that this morning and how crazy it is that one year later, here we are.

Well, we are officially into our academic weeks – this upcoming week will be academic week three out of five – and life is pretty busy. The majority of our morning exercise (AMX) is our run or swim tracks, and because I am doing the half-marathon at the end of the semester, I have been running a lot.

Some notable things that have happened this week are that we began our apprenticeships and met our Deep Creek Middle School (DCMS) buddies! To explain, DCMS is a local middle school in Rock Sound, and the Island School has a buddy program with DCMS so that each Island School student can have their own “buddy” to do fun activities and trips with. My buddy is eleven years old and is in seventh grade. I met her for the first time on Thursday, where we painted rocks at DCMS and played some intense games of Four Square. 🙂 It was a lot of fun!

We also began our apprenticeships – which are basically opportunities where students can apprentice at different locations around campus, including: the Early Learning Center (ELC), the Center for Sustainable Development (CSD), the boathouse, the kitchen, and the farm. I am officially an apprentice in the kitchen along with three other students in my class group, which has been a lot of fun so far. The apprenticeship mainly consists of cutting up fruits and vegetables, taking food out of the oven, and trying your absolute best to get on the good side of Mooch, the head cook who is extremely intimidating (but makes great food)!

Overall, it’s been a great week. I can’t wait to fill you in on all of my Island School adventures in the days to come!

Yours truly,

Nora

P.S. Here is a blog post from the Center for Sustainable Development’s (CSD) blog that is talking about my permaculture research group and all of the things that we have been doing in the past two weeks!

The East Vision • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in