Sports filled summer for graduating athletes

Caroline Pursley, Sports Editor

The 2017-2018 school year is drawing to a close and the senior class is anxiously awaiting graduation day and more than that summer. However, excited as they may be, nerves and anticipation of going off to college are also consuming their minds.

Some students from the senior class will have to go to college a little earlier than their peers. These individuals are the ones who will be continuing their academic and athletic careers in college.  

Katie Persons ‘18, who will be playing division I volleyball at Auburn University,  will be having a very short and sweet summer in EGR. Persons must leave for Auburn on June 20 which means she will only have a few weeks of summer in her hometown.

“Going to school that early is exciting because I have wanted to play college volleyball my whole life,” Persons said. “But at the same time I am sad that I will be missing out on a summer with my high school friends.”

Persons has been patiently waiting to go down to Auburn to be with her teammates she has become close with over this past year, and she is ready to play the sport she loves at the next level.

Jacob Rogers ‘18 is yet another EGR athlete who will be continuing his lacrosse career at Colorado College. Although Rogers doesn’t have to go to Colorado early, he still has work he needs to do over the summer to prepare himself for the school year ahead of him.

“My coach will send me workout sheets that I must complete throughout the summer to make sure I stay in shape,” Rogers said. “Division III lacrosse isn’t super intense but it is on me to stay in the best shape I can be so I am ready come practice time.”

There is no question that playing a sport in college is hard work. This summer will be the final summer that the graduating class of 2018 will spend in EGR so of course they want to make it the best one yet. The future college athletes aren’t exempt from this but they may be working out a little bit more than the rest of their graduating class.