Filed under NEWS

We The People team receives their national results

After winning the State competition as the self proclaimed “underdogs”, the We The People team knew they had a lot to prove at the National Competition in Washington D.C.

The team competed on April 21st and 22nd, but unfortunately did not make it into the Top 10 round of competition.

The results left the team feeling, “disappointed and bittersweet, but at the same time we competed to the best of our abilities at nationals,” said Eric Haun ‘19.

“I can speak for all the coaches when I say that I am beyond proud of this team, and the results don’t affect that at all. they beat the odds to win states this year, and anything else would have just been icing on the cake,” said senior coach, Colleen Janes.

Students prepared for the competition by “practicing formally for 3 hours twice a week and spending countless hours researching and revising with their units,” said Janes.

For Haun this pre-competition training made it so that he, “felt prepared going into nationals but still a little nervous about what the judges might ask.”

Despite not making Top 10 Haun thought, “that my unit and I had our best run through at nationals and greatly improved since states.”

Without making Top 10 the team was given an extra day to tour D.C. and participate in fun activities such as playing bubble soccer on the National Mall.