Refugee Center

Michael Barnes, Reporter

There is nothing more virtuous or important to our society than a non-profit organization for a great cause. Greed, self interest, and profit dominate nearly every corner of the free market, so when an organization such as the Refugee Education Center comes along, it is essential that we help them to not only stay afloat but also expand their influence to more people in need. The Refugee Education Center, or R.E.C, brings in people of all ages and helps them immerse into American culture through education. “(The center) has been open for 12 years, it was started by refugees who realized that others needed help learning English at other skills” Mimi Workman, a member of the center said. “It provides an incentive to speak English, as they’re surrounded by supportive people that all speak English, it takes about 5 years to become fluent.”. Volunteering at the center provides a great opportunity to make a special impact on countless lives and provide a much needed sense of support to a struggling community. “No matter how old you are, you have the resources and skills that you can bring to the table and help others.” Workman said. Fundraisers and donations are crucial to the survival of the center, and they are always looking for high school aged volunteers to lend a helping hand during the summer. Commitments for volunteers are 1 day a week for 3 hours over the summer, a small price to pay for the personal and societal benefits that come from it.

Refugee Center