• December 2Next Film Club Film Night is Mildred Pierce on December 18 in the Little Auditorium.

• November 17Girls Swim and Dive wins East's 134th state championship!

Filed under News

Students aid the search for new superintendent while faculty celebrate Dr. Sara Magaña Shubel

East Grand Rapids High School and the greater East community is saying goodbye to highly-esteemed superintendent, Dr. Sara Shubel. “I am confident that East Grand Rapids Public Schools will remain rich in traditions while continuing to focus on the future,” Shubel said.

Throughout her 12 years as superintendent  Shubel exercised her leadership qualities by ushering in the 1:1 initiative program across the district and by implementing the International Baccalaureate Programme at the high school. She helped lead East Grand Rapids Public Schools to become one of the top-ranking school districts in the state of Michigan. 

The district has begun the rigorous process to find a new superintendent to replace Shubel. A key part in the superintendent search is community involvement. There have already been several meetings where community members can give their opinions to school board members.

Additionally, the school board has hired the Michigan Association of School Boards to assist in the hiring process and help include community opinions. All the survey responses will be sent to the Michigan Association of School Boards for further review.

The school board has also selected student board that is planning to review that candidates and present their opinions about qualities they find important in the next superintendent. The school board has randomly selected a group of students to be a part of the process.

“Other students and I sat down with Michigan Association of School Boards representative to discuss what we felt was important in a new superintendent,” Maddie Gonzalez ‘19 said. “We told him what we liked about East and other issues that we feel needed to be addressed within the district in the next three to five years,”

The residents of East Grand Rapids are encouraged to make their opinions heard to ensure that the school is making the right decision for our community. As the search continues, more information can be found on the district’s webpage. On that page you can also find the press release and the open letter that Shubel wrote to EGRPS.

• Students aid the search for new superintendent while faculty celebrate Dr. Sara Magaña Shubel

News

Orchestra concert raises awareness for late journalist

News

Kawel and VanderBee receive Excellence in Teaching award

News

Emergency situation leads to partial lockdown

News

Community partners with CAC for Hearts of Gold

• News

A blast from the past: homecoming 2019

News

Diversity survey results now displayed on website

News

Students prepare for a summer of language helping Ecuadorian sister school

News

The rationale for the shorter summer

News

We The People team receives their national results

News

Students enjoy Prom 2018