Why you shouldn’t ask me about my college plans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peers snoop around another student's college application process

Halsey Smith

Halsey Smith

Halsey Smith

Lauren Ors, Entertainment Editor

My cursor hovers over the Common Application web page and I am filled with a sense of dread because I don’t know what major I want or if babysitting counts as an “activity.” Doubt consumes me. Are my ACT scores high enough? Have I volunteered for enough charities? How will my application compare to the other 1300 applicants? And this stress is only accentuated with the confusion about requesting transcripts, scavenging for letters of recommendation and signing whatever a FERPA statement is.  

Surprise emails from guidance counselors with reminders of all the things that I have forgotten to do or just haven’t gotten around to yet flood my inbox everyday. That, combined with the constant questioning from parents, friends, and other community members. Which all ring to the same tune of, “Where do you want to go to college?” is so overwhelming that it makes me consider if going to college is worth it at all. Even with the help of an older sibling or an outside counselor, the workload seems never ending. On top of it all, the only redeeming quality is that in nine months all the tears and frustration will be forgotten. The sole concern will be what collegiate style sweatshirt will look the best. In a couple of years I will vaguely recall my exact ACT score or hours recorded in We the People.

The confusion of the college process can turn into a hyper competitive environment. It is easy to consider applying to a school based on its “prestige” rather than finding the school that’s the best fit for you. It is hard to remember that after high school very few of our peers will actually remember or care where you ended up, much less where you applied and got accepted. As we get further and further into the seemingly endless tunnel which is the college application process, it is more important than ever to remember that it is okay to focus on yourself and to stop comparing yourself to others. At the end of the day the only person who is really affected by your college decision is you.    

So to my fellow seniors, don’t get offended when I am not shouting my test scores at the top of my lungs or screaming the colleges I have been accepted to or denied from. It isn’t because I don’t like you, but rather because you probably won’t remember anyways.