Why I don’t do sports

Tina Duoibes, Web Editor

The first sport I ever remember playing was soccer. I remember it was raining at the end of the last soccer game I ever played. I had to have been around 7 years old at the time and I remember walking off the field with a Krispy Kreme donut in one hand, a soccer ball at my hip, and mud covering every inch of my pink and black cleats. That was the first time, for no good reason, I remember ever wanting to quit.

Following that, I have vivid memories of dance and gymnastics classes where I think I spent more time crying than actually participated in the classes. Basketball was a phase in my life for a few elementary years, but as phases go I then got sick of it or maybe it just got sick of me. Then came diving which did not last long since I realized very quickly that I had an irrational fear of drowning. Lastly, field hockey was fun until it wasn’t. By my freshman year of high school, I had quit every sport I ever played.

Growing up I did not have any family around. All I had were my parents and my 4 siblings. We were a very close family growing up for that reason but my parents always wanted more for us. This is why they forced us to try every sport offered to push us to make new friends and be active. But I never wanted new friends because I already had my friends at home.

Looking back I wish I never quit soccer or basketball or even dance and field hockey. But I did and by the time I realized I made a mistake, I felt like I was too late and I could never be as good as any of the other players. I know now how lucky I was to be able to quit. For some kids, sports is all they have and its there only shot to get scholarships and go to college after high school. But for me, quitting was my way of rejecting failure and rejecting greatness. I could have been a great soccer player like my brother and sister but it was easier for me to quit than to find out what could happen.

At a young age, I always placed so much pressure on myself to be the best and work the hardest because that is what was going to get me into colleges. But at the same time, I would wish that I fell off my bike and broke my leg so I didn’t have to go to soccer practice, and I wished I fell and broke my arm while rollerblading so I didn’t have to go to basketball practice the next day. These are all things that went through my head daily as a kid.

Field hockey was my last straw. It was the last sport I ever played in middle school. But it was also the first sport I think I actually enjoyed playing. The summer going into freshman year was when I decided I was going to quit. Like all the sports before, I thought I would never be good enough, that the team was going to be better off without me, or that they would not even miss me. 

But, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to keep going even when your mind has given up on you, you don’t give up on yourself. Today, I think I have moved on and realized that yes, my life could have been better if I had a team around me, but I can say right now with confidence that I don’t think sports were ever for me and there nothing wrong with that.