Girls Cross Country off to a strong start

Katherine Lykins, Opinion Editor

As they run in the right direction to start off the season, the girls cross country team look promising despite moving up a division and faced with tough competition. The Varsity and JV Girls Cross Country teams came in third and first, respectively, at their second conference meet held at Bath High School.
Running for the Varsity team, Margaret Coney ‘20 completed her run as the star of the race. She ran a 19:10 as she acted as a prominent figure for the varsity girls third place finish. Although proud of the placement, she was especially enthusiastic about obtaining a personal record time for herself which landed her a spot on the leaderboard.
“I’m really excited about it. I’ve been hoping to get on the scoreboard for a while,” said Coney ‘20.
However Coney’s record time didn’t just happen by chance. Coney worked all throughout the the off season, doing all she could to get to where she is now.
“We had training like 3 days a week in the summer. It was mainly lifting but I ran on my own too in order to stay in shape and get better.”
The race at Bath high school wasn’t just a success for Margaret but also many of her teammates, including Colleen Woodhouse ‘20.
“I was super happy when I got my personal record at this meet, especially it being so early on in the season,” Woodhouse said. “It really showed that all my hard work has been paying off.”
Prior to the start of the season, the girls were feeling unsure and anxious about moving up a division, but they have been performing at a high caliber and hope to keep doing so.
“We are excited for the rest of the season and will continue to RAO,” Woodhouse said.