Girls field hockey ends season on a strong note

Nora Verdier, Staff Writer

East Grand Rapid’s Girls Field Hockey team had an outstanding 2017 season with an overall record of 6-8.

Despite the tough competition between teams such as Forest Hills and and Ann Arbor Huron, the field hockey team pulled out some major wins.

“I think the highlight of the season was definitely beating Forest Hills for the first time,” Zola Crow ‘19, a varsity player, said. “Winning the 1st round of playoffs against Cranbrook [was also exciting].”

Maggie Benham ‘18 also agreed that beating Forest Hills was a major turning point for the girl’s field hockey team.

“We played better than ever before,” Benham said.

Along with the great accomplishment of beating Forest Hills, the team had the opportunity to reenact a 1905 field hockey game with varsity playing against JV, which was considered by many to be one of the best parts of the season. Players had equipment and outfits reflecting the time period along with hair styles to match the field hockey players’ classic looks in 1905.

“I thought the [vintage] game was a great way to see how the first games were played. It was also a great way to end the season as a team because it allowed us to have a lot of fun together one last time,” Crow explains.

The 1905 vintage game not only provided fun entertainment for players and spectators, but also developed a new context of the sport for the team.

“It was important for us to see how the game used to be played,” Crow said. “It [also] gives us perspective on how far the game has come.”

Benham agrees that the 1905 game was not only an educational experience, but also an important way to honor the sport at the end of their season.

“I think it’s important to discuss and appreciate the history of field hockey,” Benham explains. “[The game] was also a time for the team to really bond together.”

Their season wrapped up with a game against the difficult competition of Ann Arbor Huron High School during the quarterfinals with a 3-0 loss.