Hockey team donates to local charities

Emily Bergstrom, Staff Writer

East Grand Rapids and Catholic Central look to bring the “cure of comfort” to Southside Ice Arena this coming Friday. The upcoming hockey game will be donating stuffed bears to two local charities, Billy Bear Hug Foundation and Bear Hug Foundation.

The Youth Advisory Board from Billy Bear Hug will be selling stuffed teddy bears as tickets to those who want to donate to the organization. All of the money from the teddy bears will be split between Billy Bear Hug and Bear Hug Foundation. Once you buy a bear, it will be yours to throw after the first period of the hockey game. All of the bears thrown on the ice will be collected and brought to the Children’s hospitals to be given to children at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Bronson Children’s Hospital and Hospice of Michigan. The “Bear Toss” will be a fun and easy way for the organization to collect money and help those in need.

Along with the “Bear Toss”, the Youth Advisory Board is having a 50/50 raffle for two lucky students to go on the ice during the “bear toss” and play in the bubble suits. The winner of the raffle will stay down on the ice and play with the fellow classmate and face-off against two other students from Catholic Central.

“I am very excited to spread awareness about Billy Bear Hug at the hockey game because I know that a lot of people know of Billy Bear Hug, but aren’t aware of what we actually do,” Caroline Roth ‘20, a member of the Youth Advisory Board, said. “We have a lot of fun activities planned from a gummy-bear counting contest to halftime activities to help raise money from Billy Bear and I think that a lot of people will participate so that will help it be successful.”

Roth, along with many others are excited to see the hockey game and help support two organizations that do so much good in our community. Make sure to be at the game to watch some good hockey and take part in the “Bear Toss” so that you can be a part of the awesome cause.