Meet the Faces of the IB Diploma Programme

Lainey Skaggs ’18, Madie Stevens ’19, and Maya Gauri ’20 share their thoughts about IB

Natalie Regan, Staff Writer

Senior

It’s just another program like AP. You take specific classes but you have to build off of that; you have to do service requirements. You do a long research project called the Extended Essay and so it’s just like taking classes similar to AP but doing a little extra work outside of school.

I’m happy I chose to do IB. It does suck because I’m missing out on some of the other classes. There are some science classes I think would have been interesting to take that aren’t in IB. But I do like the classes that I’m in and I think they have definitely helped me prepare for college and some of the experiences I’ve had through doing community service has definitely changed who I am.

I would recommend doing IB but you have to know and be

prepared for the course work. You have to know that any Higher Level (HL) class is not going to be easy.

— Lainey Skaggs -’18

Junior

IB makes you think about knowledge more than the actual content. It focuses on understanding instead of memorizing. It also focuses on how all of the courses connect to each other and how the knowledge can be used for worldly situations. We also take the Theory of Knowledge class, which gives us an insight to how we know what we know. We have to do charity and volunteer work around the criteria of creativity, service, and activity to make us more well-rounded.

IB is different than other classes because it is more discussion-based, and more analytical than just plain facts.

I️ am very happy I️ took IB and I recommend it to underclassmen strongly because you create a really good bond with your cohort, and it is nice to have a good support system throughout the program. The learning style of the classes is something I️ enjoy and benefit from to make me understand the knowledge better.

— Madie Stevens ’19

Sophomore

I chose to sign up for IB because I wanted to try something new and have a learning experience that was more than just memorizing facts.

I️’m really excited because it’ll be interesting to see how what I’ll be learning in one class connects to my other classes.

— Maya Gauri ’20