International club brings students together from around the world

Sydney Higgins, Staff Writer

As a school that is not known for being extremely diverse it can be hard for students of different ethnicities to feel like they fit in. International club is working to change this by welcoming students with open arms and open minds.

“It really gives the kids that I work with, and that kids at the school a chance to tell something about this interesting part about them and share it with other students,” Mrs. Avery, club’s advisor, said.

Within Mrs. Avery’s years of working with ESL students she has noticed a certain pattern with many of her students.

“A lot of times kids come in and they want to assimilate; they want to be the same as everyone else and fit in quietly,” Mrs. Avery said.

International club is encouraging students to share about their culture and be proud of who they are so they don’t have to try to be like everyone else in order to fit in.

“It is really fun to see them have enthusiasm about where they are from and about a place that they have visited,” Mrs. Avery said.

One way the club likes to educate peers on different cultures is by bringing in different foods.

“A lot of the time I’ve never had the type of food that is there because it is from a different country. So it’s interesting to try and usually really good,”  the club’s president Lea Schmitt ‘18 said.

Although the focus of the club last year was mainly on bringing students from different countries together, it has evolved into building connections that can allow acceptance throughout the school by focusing on the struggles some students face.

At the club’s first meeting, an Islamic movie was played in order to educate and create discussion. Elsa Hossain ‘21 was one student who spoke up after and shared personal stories about the topic at hand.

“I spoke about American Muslims and how they are different than other Americans, and how they are not terrorists,” Hossain said. “A lot of people asked me questions, and it was good to hear that other people are supportive because at the middle school I didn’t really have a good friend group.”

The club has allowed Hossain and other students to feel a part of the school more. “A lot of people didn’t like me because I was Muslim, so it really warmed my heart to see that people actually cared,” Hossain said.

This club has affected many individuals and our community can learn a lot from this club’s impact. The more we listen to each other and share experiences, the more understanding and welcoming our community can become.