Teacher and coach Hopkins accused of sexual misconduct

Ashley Ward, News Editor

The Facts

As of February 9, 2018, high school teacher and cross country and track coach Nick Hopkins has been put on paid administrative leave of absence pending investigation.

Hopkins is currently being investigated by both the East Grand Rapids School District and the City of East Grand Rapids Department of Public Safety.

While specific information regarding the investigation cannot be disclosed to the public in order to maintain  confidentiality and anonymity of the former students, Hopkins is being investigated for a potential violation of the District Title IX policy by the East Grand Rapids Education Association as well as EGR Public Safety.

At this time, the district cannot provide information regarding the allegations, number of students affected due to complete anonymity of the students affected, nor the time frame of the misconduct in order to keep confidentiality of the former students. At this time, no current students have come forward with allegations or complaints.

What is Title IX?

Title IX issued by the Michigan Department of Education protects students from discrimination based upon sex in education or federally financed programs or activities. This also protects students from potential discrimination or harassment by staff.

The Board of Education policy states that “The school district prohibits unlawful sexual harassment at school, including but not limited to, sexual assault, which includes any sexual act directed against a student or staff member, forcibly or against that person’s will, as well as criminal sexual conduct.”

School’s Response

In a recent letter sent to EGRPS families, Superintendent Dr. Sara Shubel stated “As educators, we are entrusted to teach and protect our students at all times. As a district we will not tolerate behavior that compromises the safety or well-being of any of our students.

“Our district staff; teachers, support staff, and administrators, are held to very high standards of professionalism, ethics, and conduct,” Shubel continued. “Whenever allegations suggest that these standards have been breached, we will investigate and take appropriate corrective action.”

As the community deals with the controversial allegations, the district continues to follow through with the investigation.  “As educators, we are entrusted to teach and protect our students at all times. As a district we will not tolerate behavior that compromises the safety or well-being of any of our students,” Shubel said. “Our district staff; teachers, support staff, and administrators, are held to very high standards of professionalism, ethics, and conduct.”

Frequently asked questions regarding the investigation, Title IX policy, and copy of Dr. Shubel’s letter can be found on the district website as well as here.