March Madness Preview

Nick Van Hekken, Staff Writer

On March 13, the climax of the college basketball season will begin: March Madness.

March Madness is the famous name of the NCAA basketball tournament that takes place every year. The tournament has six rounds, narrowing down the 64 best teams in the country down to one final team, the national champion.

Many people across the country love March Madness, whether they are basketball fans or not. Basketball fans love the fun, competitive, entertaining basketball, while non-basketball fans still enjoy filling out brackets and trying to pick the winning teams.

This year, college basketball has some great teams, with some very talented players. Some of the top teams in the country include Virginia, Villanova, Kansas, Xavier, Purdue, and Duke. They are looking to continue their impressive seasons into the tournament, and try to win it all.

In the state of Michigan, the Michigan State Spartans are having a great season. As of Feb. 21, they have a record of 26 wins and 3 losses, making them the second best team in the country, only behind number one Virginia. The Spartans are led by their talented young players, Sophomore Miles Bridges and Freshman Jaren Jackson Jr, who are trying to get the team back on track after a disappointing tournament appearance last year.

The other popular team in Michigan, the Wolverines are having an impressive season of their own. They are currently 22-7 and come in at number 17 in the country. Junior Mo Wagner and Senior Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman are trying to lead the Wolverines to back-to-back Sweet Sixteen appearances, and a national title.

2018’s March Madness tournament is shaping up to be very entertaining. Starting March 13, get ready for some competitive basketball games, crazy upsets, and some busted brackets.