• December 2Next Film Club Film Night is Mildred Pierce on December 18 in the Little Auditorium.

• November 17Girls Swim and Dive wins East's 134th state championship!

Desmond Jones is on the road for national tour

John Nowak continues his double life as teacher and rockstar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sydney Higgins, Staff Writer

If you hadn’t seen Mr. Nowak in the building for a while that’s because he was on tour with his band, Desmond Jones. In Mr. Nowak’s double life he took about a month off of school for his tour in which he went all the way from Ohio to Georgia, and back up to Tennessee. Desmond Jones has 5 original members all coming from MSU where they formed their band together. Before Desmond Jones, Mr. Nowak and one of the other current members of the band, Isaac Berkowitz had a band together in high school at East Grand Rapids.

Desmond Jones has been together for almost 5 years and has played over 500 shows. The band has a total of 60 songs but only 14 of them have been recorded and are released on Spotify and Itunes, a lot of the songs that they have they only play live at concerts. Gone is the #1 song on Spotify and comes off of their first EP. Some of their popular songs from their lives shows are Hot Ham, which is a funk song that lots of people like to dance to. Another crowd favorite is their cover of Toxic by Britney Spears.

Mr. Nowak’s double life has been a lot of fun for him, “My favorite part of touring is being on the road with my best friends. There’s five of us in the band, we are all really close and then we have a tour manager that comes with us so there’s six guys on the road,” Nowak said. “I love visiting new places and meeting new people, it’s fun to connect with other bands at different venues on the road. The best thing is traveling with your best friends and playing music.”

Mr. Nowak was very grateful that he was able to take a month off from teaching and tour around the country with his band. Next fall Desmond Jones is hoping to take another couple week tour playing more of their hit songs.

Now that Mr. Nowak is back from his tour his band will be taking a bit of a break from tours and mainly doing weekend gigs. As for the summer Desmond Jones will be attending a lot of festivals. For any students interested in watching Mr. Nowak perform there are upcoming concerts, “Possibly if they are 17 or older on March 17th we are playing downtown at the Intersection and they are opening up a new venue downstairs called Elevation and it will be the first show at that venue.” Mr. Nowak said.

If you aren’t old enough or miss a live concert, you can find all of their music recorded live on Spotify. Although Desmond Jones isn’t going to be having any live concerts soon, they are always in the recording studio working on new hits.

• Desmond Jones is on the road for national tour

Entertainment

October Hottest with Hollis

Entertainment

Thankfully, there’s plenty to do over break!

Entertainment

Fall farmers market favorites

Entertainment

Madrigals prepares for the holiday season

Entertainment

Macbeth

Entertainment

21 Pilots is digging deep in their new album “Trench”

Entertainment

ArtPrize schedule change to take place

Entertainment

The trending movie of the year, ¨Black Panther¨

Entertainment

The newest rock band “Meltdown Cinema”

Entertainment

One junior’s Soundcloud music success