Solo and Ensemble Festival Success

Erin Rogers, Staff Writer

The East Grand Rapids community would like to congratulate the participants of the 2018 MSBOA District 10 Solo and Ensemble Festival Anna Baermann ‘18, Zoe Bair ‘18, Genevieve Doyle ‘18, Luke Frazier ‘20, Grace Kyros, Audrey Pyper ‘19, Owen Pyper ‘19, Greta Staggs ‘18, Jagienka Timek ‘18, Olivia Van Ess, and Jacob Westerbeke ‘20 were all participants in the District 10 Solo competition.

Each participant prepared a three to five minute performance that was played in front of a panel of judges. The solos were evaluated on a scale that measured style and tempo. The highest score that the participants can receive is a one, if a participant receives a one they move on to states. It is their decision whether or not they would like to move on because it is a lot of hard work and extra practice outside of school.

“The whole class goes really above and beyond when it comes to orchestra. They do so much more than is asked of them and show the hard work and dedication it takes to be successful,” Mrs. Hillyard said. All of the East Grand Rapids students that entered received a one and are eligible to move on to states.

A majority of the participants take private lessons outside of school and put a lot of time and effort into orchestra and use this competition to improve on their skills. Not only does the competition judge solos they also judge trios and duets.

“Even though it’s emotionally draining, time-consuming, and stressful, I always take away new tips to improve. Plus it’s a good opportunity to practice performing under the nerves which you have to do for auditions,” Pyper said.

All of the students have worked extremely hard and consistently put on incredible performances. Their hard work and dedication paid off in the district festival and they will continue to use their time to prepare for the State competition on March 17.