Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Erin Rogers, Staff Writer

Time and time again we hear about young students standing up for their beliefs to draw awareness to a cause that they are passionate about.

One of these exemplary students is Lilly Harkless ‘20; she has shown her dedication to raise awareness for the Parkland school shooting.

“I couldn’t sleep or eat or understand why everyone could go about their day after knowing that the lives in Parkland completely stopped,” Harkless said.

First she wrote emails to all the victims families along with the injured students. She knew that others would like to become involved so Harkless went to the administration and asked permission to organize an event.

“At first I was alone until others heard and stepped up by my side that were equally as passionate which helped me out a lot,” Harkless said.

In preparation for the event the group of students made Facebook pages, wrote speeches, and spoke to their peers about what the Walkout would entail. There are students who are against the protest and didn’t have the same beliefs.

Harkless made it clear that she wanted to be a part of the a walkout that wasn’t politically driven. She wanted to show respect to the lives that were lost and do everything in her power to prevent such a horrendous event from happening again. Harkless’ goal for the event was to have students know that they always have a voice and they have the safety to express them.

“School safety and speaking up was the number one priority, I just wanted everyone to learn about these things so our community would never have to experience something like that,” Harkless said.

With all political views set aside the safety of students and our community will always be a priority and events like these are important to educate students. It is also empowering that students in the community were able to organize such a powerful protest that will affect our school in a positive way.

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

What’s new in the Links classroom

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

Let’s get this bread: Three typical high school jobs

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

Anybody can be a YouTuber, just give it a try

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

Annual blood drive is a staple of Kabookie week

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

Learning to deal with my quarter-life crisis

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Columns

How to support yourself

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Columns

What Nora knows…about grades

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

Seasons greetings

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

“High school will be the best years of your life”

• Lily Harkless’s Leadership

Focus

The remarkable life story of Mrs. Cone

Lily Harkless’s Leadership