The school changes are advantageous for safety

Ally Jackoboice, Staff Writer

Following the devastating shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida we have seen our own school change.

The biggest change is the decision to lock all the doors into the school except for the front doors during schools hours.

This has caused somewhat of an inconvenience for the majority of students who choose to leave campus during off campus lunch. But this inconvenience is in order to ensure our safety within the school, a small price to pay to eliminate certain risks.

Though there have been complaints, in actuality it is not that large of an inconvenience.

Some teachers in the science hallway such as Mrs. Billman, Mr. Trapp, Mr. Harold, Mr. Wiener, and Mr. Webb, are kind enough to stand by the senior lot doors during the end of fourth and fifth hours in order to let in students who park in the senior lot or areas around it.

And for the rest of the students, walking around the school to the front door isn’t even much of a walk as our campus is relatively small in comparison to a lot of other larger public schools.

The changes seem to work effectively, students are abiding and no issues have risen in the few weeks following the implementation of this new safety precaution.

School officials are looking into possibly allowing students to have either key fobs or student ID’s which would allow access into the school through every door during lunch hours. Myself, along with a number of Senior student council officials were allowed to participate in a week long key fob trial in order to test out the fobs and give feedback on their effectiveness.

I found in relatively convenient and advantageous to have the fob when I had to park in different areas around the school or chose to have lunch at Starbucks.

It made it easier to access the Bagley and Senior lot doors during lunch hours, which is especially nice during the cold winter months.

However, it seems unlikely that the fobs or IDs will be implemented this year or even in the years to come.

Overall, the decision to lock the doors during the day is an advantageous safety precaution and not really much of an inconvenience.

• The school changes are advantageous for safety

Opinion

Why you shouldn’t ask me about my college plans

Opinion

Bring back Relay for Life to build a stronger EGR community

Opinion

Better to be safe than sorry: the importance of ID cards

Columns

Don’t peak in high school

Opinion

Running without another person

Opinion

The president’s personal life does matter

Columns

Stand up for what you believe in

Opinion

Think then talk

Opinion

Students show activism in various forms

Opinion

East truly has hearts of gold