Anna’s advice for…finding a balance

Anna VanderLaan, Staff Writer

If you’re anything like me then you know that finding a balance between academics, sports, a social life, and basic health is virtually impossible. Tie in the tendency to procrastinate and a frenzy of hormones and you get the life of an average high schooler. By no means am I an expert on juggling the aspects of a busy life, but I do have some tips that routinely help me avoid an impending mental breakdown. Here are some of my favorite:

1 Don’t try to do it all– As hard as it is to admit, none of us are perfect. Some days I’m on top of the world, and others I spend the entirety in my PJs binging The Office. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get to every item on your To Do list because you always have tomorrow (or the next day…).

2 Put your health first– Sometimes it’s worth taking the L and going to bed rather than cramming for whatever test you may have the next day. Personally, I’ve found that a good night’s sleep and a home cooked meal can work wonders on my mood.

3 Keep things in perspective– One grade in one class in one semester may seem incredibly significant, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn’t. If what you’re worried about is something that won’t matter in six months, then it probably isn’t worth stressing about.

4 Laugh– Although it’s cliche, it’s important to laugh often. The best people are those who will laugh with you until tears are streaming down your face. Surround yourself with these people and your life will become monumentally better. Also, make sure you’re one of these people for the others in your life.

5 Cry– Never underestimate the cathartic value of a good crying session, and even better is when someone is there to ugly-cry along with you. Whether it’s spent in the car, the shower, or the unisex bathroom in the English hallway, it doesn’t matter; turn on Marley and Me, let the tears flow! I promise you will feel better afterwards.

6 Treat yo’ own darn self!– Personally, nothing alleviates my stress better than a good old fashioned pint of Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream and movie night with ma girls. Whether it’s bubble baths, online shopping, or mid-afternoon naps, never feel guilty for treating yourself like royalty once in a while. Treat yourself how you wish others would treat you!

7 Be the change you wish to see in the world– Just kidding. remember that in stressful times it is important to limit your efforts to accomplishing the small things first. World Peace can wait until midterms are over.