Boys Baseball looks forward to a successful spring season

Anna Dayton

Ben Biermacher ’19 practices his throw.

Emily Bergstrom, Staff Writer

As spring approaches, the baseball fields will be more lively than ever. Baseball season has finally begun and those who were longing for the season to start, have had their dreams come true. Although losing a few seniors last year, there are many freshmen coming in hoping to change the game.   

Freshmen Ben Whiteside ‘21 says, “What I’m looking forward to the most about this season is to play the game with ‘the boys’ and I hope that our team will have a lot of fun and I hope that we are going to compete at the highest level and hopefully win some ball games.”

With hopes like that from a freshmen, the East Grand Rapids baseball team can expect a great work ethic from everyone, especially Ben Whiteside.

The upperclassmen this year are also looking forward to playing a sport that they love for another year. Jack Billo ‘19 says, “I am looking forward to be an upperclassmen this year because having a leadership role on the team is very fun. I am also excited to play pass in the outfield with my teammates.” The upperclassmen have a lot of talent and are excited to showcase that talent to the baseball fans.

The baseball team last year was successful and Ryan Smith ‘19 has those high hopes. “Last year was a very fun and successful year and I hope that success from last year motivates this years team to do as well as we did.” The boys have been putting in a lot of work in the off season to ensure that success is possible. From hitting in the batting cages and running to the rock, the players feel very prepared to play.

If you are looking for something fun to do this spring, head down to Remmington and watch the East Grand Rapids Pioneers play baseball.