Cold spring sparks motivation for crew team

Halsey Smith, Focus Editor

Although the lake didn’t refreeze during the chilly first weeks of April, the East Grand Rapids crew has still been affected by the ‘sprinter’ weather. Their first regatta, scheduled for Apr. 22 against Forest Hills, was canceled. Due to the hail, snow, and sleet, the wet weather has caused mass floodings around the Grand Rapids area. With high tides, the waves have been even larger than usual at practice. But, thanks to an extended winter training season, the crew team is stronger than ever and even entered Reeds Lake during 25 degree weather. Because of the cold air and water, practices have been long and hard. However, none have been cancelled due to the weather.

“Our junior girls four is working hard for the Midwest Regatta on May 12 with a goal of going to Nationals on May 26,” said Lila Tappan ‘19, coxswain of the junior four. The boat consists of juniors Audrey Pyper, Onora Lancaster, and sophomores Ellie Iorio and Bella Olsen who practice five to six days a week.

The boys crew team is working just as adamantly, despite the unfortunate conditions.

“We’re trying really hard and feel like we are getting more and more ready for the season,” said Owen Pyper ‘19, member of the boy’s junior four which also includes Balin Cooper, Kyle Douglas, Alex Galbraith, and is coxed by Grace Barfknecht ‘19.

In the next two months, the team will row in four regattas against teams in the nearby area. All this hard work prepares the boys and girls team for ‘Midwest’, a huge regatta where teams race 1,500 meters to gain conformation for their hard work that season. The crew team is highly motivated this season, and even because the weather has turned nice, they are even more excited to get back on the water.

The EGR girls Junior Boat out on the water. Pictured from left to right: Lila Tappan ’19, Ellie Iorio ’20, Audrey Pyper ’19, Onora Lancaster ’19, and Bella Olsen ’20.

Photo courtesy: Lila Tappan ’19.