Time flies at EGR high

Caroline Pursley, Sports Editor

Almost everyone can admit that they have heard someone say to them, “Enjoy high school as much as you can, it will be over before you know it.” I for one never fully believed that, until this year. Now here I am just weeks away from graduation and my emotions towards leaving East are nothing like I expected.

Growing up in East has been amazing. Yet, at the same time, I have always thought that there was something bigger and better outside of East and I was eager to experience it. When I entered high school freshman year, college was already something I was thinking about. I always knew that I wanted to go to college far away from home and I was already looking forward to leaving East before I even fully experienced it. The mindset I entered high school with, although it may not have come across, was kind of negative.

Now, it is three years later and I couldn’t be feeling any more opposite. These past four years have been more than I could’ve asked for and I wouldn’t change anything about them, especially senior year, which has without a doubt been my favorite year.

Being a senior is arguably different than any other year in high school. You feel as if you and your grade share a bond and your attitudes towards each other are different than they were in previous years. From sitting on the bench, parking in the senior lot, and being at the front of the stands at sporting events, there seems to be a sense of comradery between the grade that has never been felt before.

However, the thing I will miss most about East are the friends I have made. I have been lucky enough to have had the same friends since I was in 6th grade and I am dreading being without them next year. Over the years we have had more fun than I could have ever imagined and this year has been no exception. Our countless drives around Reeds Lake at night, sending embarrassing snapchats of each other, and our unhealthy amount of El Arriero trips are just a few things I will miss the most. My friends and I have become closer than I ever thought possible this year and I can’t believe that I will have to leave them in three short months.  

I know there are plenty of people in the school who can’t wait to get out of East, and I understand because I used to be the same way. However, what I advise any of you that feel this way to do, is to make the most out of your years here at EGR. I took my first year of high school for granted and I now regret it. Appreciate the time you spend with your friends. These four years went by faster than I could’ve ever thought possible and I wish I could do them all over again.