You never outgrow Halloween

Bailey Vydareny

Take advantage of a few more years of childhood freedom and go trick-or-treating.

Bailey Vydareny, Staff Writer

We all remember the excitement of Halloween. Scooping the slimy goop out of your soon to be jack-o-lantern, the crisp fall night air, agonizing over your costume after changing your mind a million times, and most importantly, the candy. Those massive amounts of candy received and the hopes that there will somehow be enough self-control to make the loot last longer than a week. Halloween is a day for kids to be kids, but when are you too old to go door to door?

At a certain point, schools don’t seem to care about the holiday anymore or what your plans are for the night. The fact that it is October 31 won’t stop your English teacher from planning a test November 1. School and work load become a major factors when it comes to Halloween, and I find the older we get the more likely we are to celebrate over the month of October.

There are plenty of easy ways to get in the spooky spirit, but which is truly scarier, ignoring work or the month of October? Haunted houses or walking into a class only to realize your paper is not done? Corn mazes or getting lost in the endless maze that is homework? Not to mention that scary movies don’t even seem necessary when just logging into skyward is enough of a fright to get you through the season.

The bottom line is we are still kids no matter how old we think we are. As high school students, it is especially important to balance the inevitability of becoming an adult with the fact that we only have a few years left of childhood freedom. Trick-or-treating is an easy way to embrace the fact we are all still kids who deserve a night to let loose and not worry about schoolwork. So, get out there and be a kid! Dress up, get some candy! Just be aware that your spooky night might follow you into school the next day or the rest of the semester.