Girls Swim and Dive looking for another state title

EGR Athletics

The Girls OK Conference Tier 1 Swim and Dive Team from left to right: A Chambers, N Murphy, E Israels, S Williams, S Higgins, C Witting, G Milnes, and L Levine.

Ryan Post, Staff Writer

The EGR girls swim and dive team has one goal as the end of the season approaches: to bring home another state championship. They are coming off winning the conference meet and a great season so far. With excellent senior leaders and young freshman talent, the girls’ chances for state are looking very promising. The balance of experience and young blood has brought the girls an amazing season which included not losing a single dual meet or invitational.

The team is very proud of their accomplishments this season but they are not done yet. Captain Emily Bergstrom ‘19 is striving for the team to win the title and to meet her own personal goals.

“Some of our accomplishments are that we went undefeated in all of our dual meets and invitationals. Along with that, we won conference again which was one of our main goals from the beginning of the season. We hope to win states this year because we have an amazing team with a lot of talent.” Bergstrom said.

Bergstrom gives high praise to her team and believes they can go all the way, and she will be one of the leaders through it all along with fellow captains, Lauren Ors ‘19 and Sydney Higgins ‘19.

“I hope to place in the top 8 in the 100 butterfly.” Bergstrom said.

Bergstrom is aspiring to finish with a top spot at state which would push the team further towards their goal.

“I think we have a big shot at winning states. Our state team has a lot of freshman and sophomores that have consistently swam well throughout the season and I think that will pay off at states. Everyone on the team has put in an immense amount of work. We are all ready to race and see our hard work pay off.” Abbey Chambers ‘19 said.

Chambers will be competing in the state meet and she is ready to take on the challenge with her team

The girls have confidence in themselves to take home the trophy as they will be sending eight freshman, six sophomores, and seven senior swimmers along with, hopefully, their divers to compete. Good luck at state girls.