Osta’s Lebanese cuisine is open for business once more

Back to Article
Back to Article

Osta's Lebanese Cuisine in Gaslight reopened in November after being closed due to an injury affecting their only chef, John Aouad.

Ben Alter

Ben Alter

Ben Alter

Lily Hojnacki, Staff Writer

After a four month long closure, Osta’s Lebanese Cuisine is back open in Gaslight Village.

Osta’s announced their temporary closure through a facebook post on June 25 saying that sole chef John Aouad had fallen and broken his ankle, and would need surgery.

Owners of Ostas, Diane and John Aouad, run the business with their four kids, “Chef John was trained by his father, and in turn, trained our children. Over these last 25 years, Domi, John, Elias and Nada have worked alongside us from time to time. They carry on our family’s legacy as the 3rd generation of the Aouad family in the restaurant business” Osta’s said through Facebook.

Since the restaurant is the family’s only source of income, two friends and longtime customers, Susan Cleland, and Jane Gietzen started a GoFundMe campaign to support the family during the closure that raised over $13,000.

Osta’s reopened on Nov. 6 sharing this message, “The last three months have brought challenges as John has been recovering from his injury,” the family said through a facebook post. “He is coming along well… Thank you for your continued patronage over the years. You have shown us the true meaning of friendship, and we will be forever grateful. We look forward to serving you again soon.”

Many students and teachers have missed enjoying Osta’s close by food during their lunchtime breaks, and are happy that the restaurant has returned, “When they were open I used to go there for lunch probably once a week. I was very sorry that they had to take all that time off, but i’m very grateful that they’re back in business and I can’t wait to get back” Mrs. Eddleman, said.

Along with their grand-reopening, Ostas also celebrated their 25th anniversary on the same day. The East Grand Rapids Gaslight Village Facebook page shared this message, “We are thrilled for John and Diane as they return to business today, providing our community with the most delicious Lebanese cuisine. Be sure to stop in soon!”

The restaurant has switched to new hours which are 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and are closed Sunday and Monday. Make sure to go out and enjoy some good Lebanese food while also supporting the hard-working Aouad family.

• Osta’s Lebanese cuisine is open for business once more

News

Downtown events to get into the holiday spirit

News

Current political climate impacts young voters

News

Orchestra concert raises awareness for late journalist

News

FAFSA Q&A with Joe Harmon

News

This year, there is a club for everyone

News

Kawel and VanderBee receive Excellence in Teaching award

News

Emergency situation leads to partial lockdown

News

Community partners with CAC for Hearts of Gold

• News

A blast from the past: homecoming 2019

News

Students aid the search for new superintendent while faculty celebrate Dr. Sara Magaña Shubel