What’s new with winter sports: Wrestling

Whats new with winter sports: Wrestling

Jack Hollis, Staff Writer

East wrestling has high hopes for a State Championship win this year, since some came up just short of the victory.

East wrestling had their first match and are starting off with a strong 2-0 start. There are high hopes for a State Championship win this year, since some came up just short of the victory.

“I’m looking most forward to the to the state tournament. I want to win a state championship,” John Shelton ‘20 said. “I lost on the semis last year so I’m pretty determined to win this year.”

Making it to the state championship is no easy feat though. There are different obstacles that need to be passed that weren’t a problem last year.

“Last year we graduated two important senior wrestlers and gained three freshman and a sophomore in their place,” Will Morant ‘20 explained. “It will be difficult, but these kids are tough as nails so I believe it will go as well as previous years.”

But practice makes perfect, and there is no shortage of practicing for the wrestling team this year.

“Practices are very difficult, but have a good payoff. Mondays and Thursdays we learn new moves, practice them and condition,” Will Morant ‘20 said. “On Tuesdays and Fridays we have shortened practice, but it involves a lot more live wrestling, or ‘practice matches’.”

The team is striving for greatness individually and as a team. With the hardwork and dedication that they have shown in past years, a state championship may be looking likely for the future.