Long dry spells in yet another winter

Winter weather rapidly fluctuates between unprecedented warmth and cold.

Lily Hojnacki, Staff Writer

Many are well-aware that Michigan natives are a different species when it comes to bearing the treacherous weather conditions.

Winter seems to last about six long, dark, cold months around here.

It’s pretty much a given that anywhere you look you’ll be able to see a bunch of pale high school students attempting to scrape off snow and ice from their cars and sliding on ice to school in the pitch black of morning. Sometimes no amount of salt can fix the ice rink that forms over the sidewalks. Watching kids fall is almost like a free comedy show in the mornings. It’s pretty much an unspoken rule that you have to add an extra 10 minutes to get where you’re going, otherwise, you can expect to be late.

Although there has certainly been no shortage of low-temps and grey skies lurking around this winter season, we do seem to be lacking the epitome of winter. Snow.

For some this may be a dream, but even with the challenges snow can bring, the positives largely outweigh the negatives.  

The classic winter activities like skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, and the good old fashioned snowball fights are what makes enduring the cold season for so long all worth it, and I for one think that the thrill of waking up in the morning and seeing how much effort it takes to make it from the door to the car can add some extra spice to your day.

Also, many have never experienced that bliss of getting to wake up on a school day and stay in bed because of the snow; Florida kids got nothing on us.

I’m sure all the skiers, especially those on the Ski Team, could come at you with a million reasons why having no snow sucks, and at this point if you don’t believe global warming is a serious issue you have some issues of your own.

I admit that it can be tough in the winter to remember what beautiful summers Michigan can bring. However, there’s no doubt that sticking around through the snow is worth it for the gorgeous northern summer time (queue Pure Michigan commercial). Sure, California sounds nice, but i’d much rather have snow than any of the natural disasters that many other states have to deal with such as wildfires, tornados, floods, and hurricanes.

People tend to get very heated when it comes to their opinions on weather but I stand strongly that snow comes with the territory of Michigan winters, so you could either fight it or embrace the fresh powder with open arms.