Girls Cross Country heads to states

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Cross Country heads to states

Guy Renfro

Guy Renfro

Guy Renfro

Clare Backus, Staff Writer

Girls Cross Country is closing in on the end of the 2019 season. The team has won the majority of their meets this season they competed in. The strongest seven members of the team are feeling confident as they approach states.  

The team is coming off an amazing win at regionals. Anna Petr, a senior won the overall, broke a school record, and had a personal record with a time of 17:52. 

Hannah Bodine ‘21 expects the team to win states.  “Overall the team has done amazing things so far,” she said. “We are ranked one of the top teams in the nation, and ranked second in the state by only one point.” 

Losing to Pestoky earlier in the season was a setback, but the team is determined to come back and beat them at states.

However, the team has performed considerably well with many break-out moments from seniors Anna Petr and Margaret Coney. They are prepared for the challenging course and competition at states. 

“The season is different from last season because we have fast freshmen that joined, Camryn Bodine and Abby Petr,” Bodine’ 21 said. “Both of them have worked really hard, and especially Abby has played an important role as out 5th runner, which means she scores points for our team.” 

Hopefully, all the hard work and commitment the team has put in this season will get them another state championships won.