Back-to-Back We the People State Champions

2022 will mark the third year since the We The People team has been in Washington D.C. for nationals. This hasn’t stopped students from making the most of their experience whether they are in D.C, or the East Grand Rapids High School learning commons. 

“It’s always fun to go to D.C so it’s unfortunate that we can’t go to D.C.,” Mr. Horos said, “However, this group of students will still be able to have fun and push themselves and get a lot of satisfaction from nationals.”

Students have already demonstrated their ability to be successful, despite competitions being held online. 

Weeple was able to win yet another state championship this year with the competition occurring online. They prepared rigorously for states which is a big reason why they won.

“A lot of the preparation took place over Christmas Break,” Margaret Periard ‘23 said. 

The practices start off lighter with some readings and gaining knowledge on their topics, and working on written responses. 

As the competition date nears, practices ramp up as students work together in their units to answer questions that they may get in debates. 

Coming in and practicing over break is never easy, so students had to find ways to have fun while practicing. 

“When we practice, each unit brings different snacks and I think Unit 3 and Unit 6 brought the best ones by far,” Grace Cox ‘23 said. 

With all of the hours that go into preparing for Weeple, students often take study breaks and enjoy some snacks while hanging out. Bringing snacks isn’t the only way that students have enhanced their experience.

“Each unit has traditions which are passed down that are always super fun,” Ava Godlewski ‘23 said. 

Winning has become a tradition of sorts for Weeple and this year’s class will look to continue that tradition come their National’s competition on April 22-26. This is a realistic goal given the passion that students have for their work. 

“Everyone shares the same energy and dedication to the class,” Sam Mitchell ‘23 said. 

Mr. Horos echoed this statement.

“A lot of them seem to not be doing it just for a grade because they are really interested in the topic,” Horos said. 

Going into Nationals, Weeple will look to their passion for their topics and bonds with their classmates to keep spirits high, even though they will not be in D.C. Snacks, traditions, and friendships drive the class to continue to challenge themselves throughout the difficult times. 

Regardless of the results at Nationals, Horos enjoys “seeing students succeed,” he said, “and sometimes that’s winning a competition, but other times it’s just doing something really difficult.”