Drama Club Auditions For Musical

Following the January Production “Competition Piece”, East Grand Rapids High School Drama is preparing for auditions for “Once Upon a Mattress.” Auditions are set to begin on February 7th and last three days, until February 10th.

“Once Upon a Mattress” is a modernized musical taking inspiration from “The Princess and the Pea”, that includes new songs, comedy, and an overall fresh take on a classic that was nominated for 3 Tony Awards.

The leading roles are Winnifred the Woebegone and Prince Dauntless, the princess hoping to marry the prince, and the son of Queen Aggravarian. Alana Johnson ‘23 is hoping for the role of Winnifred the Woebegone.

The audition process spans the entire week of February 7. Students must complete separate auditions for vocal, reading, and dancing abilities. At the end of the week on Friday 11 the cast list will be posted.

The vocal audition is a one to one-and-a-half minute student selected piece that they can prepare prior to their audition. The reading audition is a segment out of the script that the students have not seen before.

However, students aren’t limited to acting if they wish to participate. There is the opportunity to work backstage or play in the pit orchestra. Backstage jobs include but are not limited to stage manager, crew, lights, sound, costume, makeup, publicity, and working on the show program.

Rehearsals are set to begin February 14, and the performance times are April 28, 29, and 30.