Kabookie Project of Kindness: Stronger Together

“The communal art project that is located upstairs on the two main pillars is to remind us of the spirit of Kabookie,” Rahshona Saydazamova ‘22 said. 

Saydazamova came up with this inclusive idea because, “In the midst of a global pandemic, the students of EGR have learned the importance of community and inclusivity is a critical role as a pioneer. Kabookies lasting legacy lives in our students’ hearts,” Saydazamova said. 

These newly painted pillar projects she logistically managed, “The ‘EGR Stronger Together’ pillars represent this; our students have hearts of gold,” Saydazamova said. 

The idea started when, “Mr. Weigel asked us at a Kabookie week meeting if we wanted to do any art projects. I always thought we needed to bring some lively colors in this dull hallway. I looked around for potential places I could do a project on,” Saydazamova said.

As she scanned the school for geographic places that needed art, “And then the two big pillars struck me, and I immediately knew that that would be the perfect spot to hold it,” Saydazamova said. Once Weigel approved, she got on to planning, “I then worked with Mr. Horos and Mr. Spiege to advise the art project,” Saydazamova said.

The most important aspect of this project was the inclusion of the student body, 

“I wanted to get almost every single student involved, so that’s why I thought handprints would look great, and then adding hearts would’ve been a lovely touch,” Saydazamova said.  

Wanting to keep the school’s spirit integrated, she chose to use our school’s colors “The color of the handprints will be gold and blue representing our school’s colors in contrast with the bluish paint on the pillar. Each student will be given a heart stamp in a darker shade of gold, and they will be asked to place the heart in the middle of their handprint. This will symbolize a personal sentiment in regards to being a better peer and trying to live like Kabookie did every day: with kindness and compassion,”  Saydazamova said. 

Although Saydazamova’s bright idea was her own, 

“This is somewhat in partnership with Be Nice and Girl Up club because I’m the president of both. I asked both clubs to help so there could be some potential leadership roles and people could fill but for the most part I had the help of my amazing friend,” Saydazamova said. 

he words dominating the pillars boldly say “stronger together”. 

“I mean for example just painting the “stronger and together” on the pillars for a three-person team took us five hours so there was so much derivation and generosity that I am very thankful for”, Saydazamova said. 

Happy with her dedication and creativity, the East body loves the new artwork, and so does she, “I’m absolutely in love with the results,” Saydazamova said. 

This is the only handprint project planned so far, “but I’d be more than happy to lead or encourage future students to plan a project like I did,” Saydazamova said. 

As the student point out their individual prints to their friends through the halls, 

“It honestly brought me joy seeing everyone planning out where and who they wanted their hands to be,” Saydazamova said. 

As you see the hard work she put into a thoughtful project, admire the meaning behind the handprints and spread inclusion and kindness, 

“I hope everyone got a chance to leave their own mark and legacy through their handprints which all symbolized the spirit of Kabookie,” Saydazamova said.

This article appeared in the February edition of The East Vision.