Q & A with three foreign exchange students

Keaton Smith

Giulia Amati ‘17 (Italy) , Kristina Sviland ‘18 (Denmark), and Patri ‘17 (Spain) are all new to the EGR hallways as foreign exchange students.

This school year East Grand Rapids has welcomed several new students to the high school from countries across the globe. The new students are here to learn in a different environment and experience American culture. Giulia Amati ‘17 came to the United States from Italy, Kristina Sviland ‘18 is from Denmark, and Patri ‘17 is an exchange student from Spain. All four of the new students are still getting used to the differences of life in America compared to their home countries, but are excited to learn from this unique life experience.

Kristina:

Q: Why did your family decide to move to America?

A: My dad is starting a new production for a Danish furniture company, it was decided that it would be easiest for everyone to just move here for one year.

Q: How have you adjusted to life in America?

A: The first week was very hard. I didn’t know anyone, and I didn’t know the language that well, and everything was very different from home. It’s getting easier and easier to be here. I have some friends, and I’m getting used to how the school works and all the unwritten rules and different kinds of norms there is.

Q: What was the hardest part about leaving home?

A: The hardest part about leaving home was leaving my friends. Your family will always be there, but you never know if it’s going to be the same with your friends. It was especially hard to leave because it wasn’t my decision, and I really didn’t want to go.

Q: Do you like studying here so far?

A: Studying here is ok. It’s very different from Denmark. Grades are a way bigger deal here.

Q: How does our school system differ from your school system at home?

A: In Denmark you start school when you’re six. The mandatory school is from 0-9 grade, from when you are 6-16 years old. Then you can choose if you want to go into 10th grade, or if you want to travel and be an exchange student, or go to a kind of boarding school where you do your “passion.” After 9th grade, you don’t need to go to school, but it’s recommended if you want a good job. 

Patri:

Q: Why did you decide to study in America?

A: I think the best way to learn a language is to live in the country who speaks it and know their culture.

Q: How difficult was the process to find a host family?

A: It was pretty easy because I know people here, and they talked with my family. The truth is that in my case I was lucky.

A: It was so easy to adjust here, everyone is so nice, and everyone helps you if you need it.

Q:What was the hardest part about leaving home?

A: The hardest thing was not seeing my family or friends.

Q: Do you like studying here so far?

A: Yeah! I love it! Everything is so cool!

Q: What is your favorite subject in school?

A: I love forensics and genetics!

A: It is so different! Here is a lot more fun. We do activities, games, projects, and group work every week! 

Giulia:

A: I decided to study in America because I always like English as a language and also because I think that studying abroad will open my mind incredibly and my view of the world, and it will help me to be more independent. Plus, I think it’s an incredible experience that happens once in a lifetime.

Q: How difficult was the process in finding a host family?

A: The process wasn’t really difficult because all I had to do was first an interview about my psychological preparation to leave home for 10 months, then an English test, once I got “accepted” I had to fill in some forms, I had to make a collage with some of my pictures with family and friends, and write a letter to my future host family. The interesting part is that we exchange students don’t get to choose the family, but is the family that chooses us!

A: Well, yesterday was exactly a month that I’ve been here and I’m liking it very much, I miss home a lot sometimes, but I’m very motivated and I know that my family in Italy is there for me whenever I need help. Plus my family here is nice, and I like being a part of their family very much.

A: The hardest part was surely saying goodbye to my parents and my sister at the airport, and packing up the day before made me really realize that I would actually be away for 10 months.

Q:Do you like studying here so far?

A: I do like studying here so far because it’s very different from my country’s way of studying, and changes are always good.

Q: What is your favorite class at school?

A: My favorite class here so far is U.S. History or AP Spanish.

Q: How does your school system at home differ from our school system here?

A: So, in our school system we have 5 years of high school, and we don’t get to choose our subject. We have different types of high schools; they focus on different subjects. So for example, my school focuses on languages, so besides Italian I studied English, Spanish, and French, but still I had to do other subjects that we can’t choose like Physics or Maths. One other different thing is the way school is organized; we don’t have the same classes everyday, but we repeat the same schedule every week (For example every Monday I would have maths, French, Spanish, History, and Italian and I would repeat those subjects every Monday, but I would have different classes on Thursday). We don’t move from class to class, the teacher moves and we go to school until 1/2 P.M but we have to go to school on Saturday.