Model UN Eager to Continue Despite Restrictions

For years Model UN has challenged students to expand their knowledge and grow as people. 

“It shows students the power of public speaking, good writing, and collaboration,” Thomas Kawel said, one of the advisors that runs Model UN at the high school. 

Model UN is an extracurricular activity that provides students with the opportunity to simulate the process of acting as a diplomat at the United Nations or a member of some other multilateral body. This requires students to make agreements with other students and advocate for their interests.

Over the years the opportunity to grow, as well as benefits such as the ability to “meet new people, go places, and leave school” as Max Fechner ‘24 put it, has led many students to join Model UN and fall in love with the program.

However, over the past two years the Model UN program has faced many challenges and setbacks due to COVID-19. And recently the Model UN program faced yet another setback as an upcoming event at Michigan State University that was scheduled for the weekend of Jan. 15-16 was cancelled due to the recent spike in COVID-19 cases.

Students had been practicing for weeks to get ready for the competition only to have their hopes dashed by the recent spike in COVID-19 cases. “I was really disappointed about it being cancelled,” Alex Tjoelker ‘24 said.  This was echoed by many other Model UN students who all seemed to be looking forward to the chance to take part in this activity.

With this cancellation, what lies in store for the rest of the year for students who participate in Model UN is unclear. There is another Model UN event at Michigan State University in March, but with the recent spike in COVID-19 cases there is a possibility that it will be cancelled as well. However, in spite of this instability the students and advisors are still pressing on optimistically. 

“Hopefully we’ll be able to go to Michigan State in March,” Thomas Kawel said, “it’s a great experience.”