We the People team headed to Nationals in Washington D.C.

Janice+Yates+teaching+the+Constitutional+Studies+class+earlier+this+year.+

Keaton Smith

Janice Yates teaching the Constitutional Studies class earlier this year.

The We The People Team has been working hard all year, and the members were honored to qualify for Nationals at States earlier this year.

The team took home a heavy victory at states with 3 units placing first in the state. Determined to succeed at nationals, the team have been practicing since.

The Nationals competition will be taking place at the University of Maryland, in Washington D.C., on April 22-25. More than 1,200 people in total (students and teachers) will be competing.

The team will be touring D.C. and seeing multiple historic sites leading up to and after the competition.

If the team places in the top ten teams of the competition, they will compete in a congressional committee room for the final title.

This year will be Janice Yates’ last year coaching the We the People team in the National Finals, and will be replaced by Adam Horos for the 2016-2017 year.  This year was Horos’ first year teaching at East, and taught United States History.

“We The People is an amazing program and it does not need me in any way, shape, or form. It will always be amazing,” Yates said.

Team member James Lykins ‘17 identified Drew Baloga ‘17 and Thomas Mack ‘17 as standout students.

The Weeple team had to work extra hard to raise money for the trip, as it costs a little over $1,600 for each student to go, reaching a sum of almost $90,000 in total for all fifty students.

The team held a demonstration night to raise money in February, where students and parents could observe the team doing what they do best.

Much of the team are sentimental, as going to Washington D.C. with Mrs. Yates will likely be their last Weeple-related experience with her.