Listen to Linnea: Mental Health Resources

Mental health is a topic discussed in today’s world more than ever. There is much discussion on how we break the stigmas surrounding it and what should be done to support people’s mental health, especially teens. East Grand Rapids is just one district trying to support teens’ mental health in the schools, and we recognize the challenges for the administration to get the money needed to acquire those resources, but we also should acknowledge the challenges for teachers to support their students and even students supporting students.

So how should teachers support their students’ mental health? How can students utilize the resources that are finally being provided? How can they support each other?

AWARENESS: Many people who are going through mental health struggles, especially teens, don’t feel confident enough to get the help they need. They may be aware that they need help, but struggle to take the next steps in telling the right people. That’s why much of the time, teachers need to be on the lookout for students that might be showing signs of struggling. For example, difficulty with concentration, frequent exhaustion, restlessness, irritability, constant headaches or stomach aches are all signs of anxiety. This is the kind of training teachers should be receiving on mental health so that in the future, they might be able to help a student find the resources they need.

ACCESSIBILITY: In many schools, students might actually feel ready to take those steps to get help but have no way of accessing the resources they need, and if those resources actually do exist, they might be complicated to access. This is why schools need an easy way for any student to contact people affiliated with mental health resources. Whether that be a phone number, specific online platform, helpline, etc., it shouldn’t be impossible or take weeks for the school to get back to a person who needs that help at that moment. Timeliness is extremely important because the faster that person can get help in finding solutions, the more likely they are to find success.

UNDERSTANDING: Stigmas around mental health have been around for centuries, and only now is society trying to change that attitude. So not only is it the school’s and teacher’s jobs to look out for students’ mental health, but also for their close friends and family. Oftentimes a person only lets those close to them see their struggles, and more than ever, we cannot ignore them. We have a responsibility to look out for those who matter to us and that includes being empathetic, understanding, and being willing to have hard conversations that may be uncomfortable. We need to check in with those who are having mental health issues or know someone else who is rather than shy away from bringing it up. 

Mental health is evermore present in today’s schools, and it’s the school’s job to normalize asking for help, provide teachers with adequate mental health training, and have accessible resources. 60% of college students in 2021 were diagnosed with a mental health disorder and 22% of students seriously considered attempting suicide. Those numbers have been rising for the past few decades, especially with the rise of social media, and it’s our responsibility to rise to the challenge. So I would encourage you to take care of your mental health as much as you would your physical health and not turn a blind eye to signs of mental health struggles in your friends and family. We need to normalize asking for help and destigmatize making mental health a priority.