Don’t Be Afraid To Try Something New

Too often students get pigeon-holed into a certain group, clique, or “cult” from the moment they walk into high school. There’s the students who spend all of their time as part of an athletic team. There are kids who are part of every play, musical or performance made possible by the theater department. Some kids are in every possible academic club as they focus on their grade point average. From music to robotics, the high school is full of activities that are great options for students to excel in an area. The problem, however, arises from the tendency of students to get locked into the same activities every year.

I was one of those students from my freshman through junior years.

Even though I switched to cross country as a junior, being part of a sports team continued my long career of being an athlete. 

This year, however, I truly decided to step out of my comfort zone. After my swimming career wrapped up, I decided to try out for the musical. Anyone who has ever heard me sing was shocked by this news, but I was just hoping to be part of the experience. I was nervous going into tryouts because I didn’t know the other kids who were trying out very well, and they were all much better than I was. Providence, however, arranged for one of the lead roles in Once Upon A Mattress to be a mute character who pantomimes his lines – perfect for a man like myself, a horrible singer at best. Much to my surprise, I was selected to play that role – King Sextimus. 

Excited but really nervous, I started attending my first rehearsals. After a month of rehearsals, I can confidently say that I have loved being a part of the drama department. Every day I have learned something new, perfected steps, pantimoned lines, and spent time with a bunch of amazing people I would not have been able to get to know otherwise. My only regret has been waiting this long to join.  

I believe our school can do a better job of encouraging students to step out of their comfort zone and try something new. It still takes a lot of courage to do that, but it has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me. Next year and into the future, whether you are here, at college or wherever life takes you, don’t be afraid to try new things. Step out of your comfort zone and make the most of this time that we’ve been given. Go out for a new sport. Join a club that you otherwise would not have. Go out for a theater production. Enjoy the things you love to do, but don’t get so stuck in one way of thinking or one activity that you miss out on the plethora of other ones available.